Sunday, July 11, 2010

Proverb Thirty Two

The sermon today was a continuation in our study of the Book of Acts: chapter 27 -- the first part of the Apostle Paul's trip from Jerusalem as a prisoner of Rome, ending with their shipwreck on the Island of Malta. The pastor pointed out that Paul at the beginning of the chapter had no credibility with the centurion who was charged with delivering him to Rome, but by the end (as Paul's prediction of disaster came true) the crew was following Paul's instructions. The reason for their change of attitude toward Paul can be found in verse 25: "Therefore, keep up your courage, men, for I believe God that it will turn out exactly as I have been told."

Paul's faith in the One who has proven Himself faithful ultimately gives Paul credibility. Our challenge is to be people of faith -- and in the end God will give us whatever credibility we need to accomplish what he's called us to do.

The pastor then took the contrary position: "Of course, you're probably saying to yourself: 'I'm no Paul. I don't have the Paul's faith or gifts.' I mean, don't you ladies find the Proverb 31 woman a bit intimidating. And if there's a Proverb 31 woman, why isn't there a Proverb 32 man? It just doesn't seem fair that women are supposed to live up to the lofty example of womanly perfection in Proverb 31, but there's no Proverb 32."

At this point, my pretty bride leaned toward me and whispered: "He's wrong -- there is a Proverb-thirty-two man."

I whispered back, "There isn't even a Proverb 32; how can there be a Proverb 32 man?"

So Joyce immediately turned the pages of her Bible to prove me wrong. And sure enough, she was right and, yes, ... I was wrong.

Proverb 30:2 "Surely I am more stupid than any man, and I do not have the understanding of a man."

5 comments:

joyce said...

Proverbs 30:7 Two things I asked of Thee, do not refuse me before I die:

Jerry said...

I hope that she wasn't expecting you to be that Proverbs Thirty Two man.

Bob said...

Jerry--
Joyce knows both me and her Bible all too well.

joyce said...

Proverbs 30:3 Neither have I learned wisdom, nor do I have the knowledge of the Holy One.

joyce said...

Proverbs 30: 5 & 6

Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words lest He reprove you, and you be proved a liar.