Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blog-iversary

Two years ago today I posted my very first words on this blog - not really intending to have anyone read them. I just figured a blog would be a good place to dump those few thoughts that leak out of my head. Because I'd never really planned to take up blogging and I was still half intending to drop it, I hadn't mentioned my blog to Joyce when she sent me an email with a link to her very first post. Of course, I replied with a link to mine. So ever since we've been a blogging couple.

Anyway, my first post was this poem (based on one of those viral email stories that makes the rounds). I was rather pleased with how well that story fit my meter and rhyme. So without further ado, here it is.

Free Lunch

Smackin dust from hat'n boots
just 'nside the cafe door,
I stomps to th'counter with m'dime,
coffee wages 'n nothin more.
Sits m'self at the sleeve o' a Meskin -
a poco boracho so he seems.
Waitress brings m'cup - still there
he sits, astarin at his beans.

A day ago I filled m'gut,
'n that were just some jerky chili.
While I eyes that heapin bowl,
in my mind'er thoughts: "Danged silly,
"Silly!" them thoughts protest, "a drunken
Meskin awasting food galore."
So speaks them thoughts, and says to him,
"Might I finish that, Seenyor?"

Without even alookin up,
he shakes his head and says to me,
"Help jorself," and slides the grub -
so now I has a meal fer free.
As beans is filling up m'carcass,
pure sweetness's fillin up my heart,
"Them Spics ain't all so bad!" I thinks
(that 'n, "Pintas makes me fart").

Then I spies the mouse's head,
eyein' me atop m'spoon.
'N sudden comes the backerds flow,
awhence to bowl it left so soon.
Leanin close, my compadre speaks
some words well worthy of a chew:
"How'ju like jor lunch por libre?
'S'bout as far as I got, too."

4 comments:

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Good stuff there Bob...catchy little tune you got there. Don't think for a second I missed your allusions in the words "leak" and "dump" though.

joyce said...

Yum. Chili for lunch, dear?

Nah, I'm not hungry. (How Bob saves money takin' Joyce to a fancy place for lunch on Valentine's Day---or, by checking "armpit" I compliment you on a well written poem)?!

Bag Blog said...

Congrats on your your Blogoversary. And nice poem - I think.

Anonymous said...

Happy blog-iversary. May you have many more!