Friday, April 4, 2008

For Shame!


I am absolutely appalled!

Today is the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King. But how does NASCAR choose to honor him? By having an event at the Texas Motor Speedway they're calling "Race Weekend"!

I mean seriously! How does an event devoted to "race" jibe with Martin Luther King's dream that his children would "live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"? If NASCAR really wanted to pay tribute to the life of this great man, they should be having a "Non-racially Discriminatory Weekend" rather than a weekend that emphasizes our racial differences?

Well, all I can say is, "They should all be ashamed of themselves!"


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

::snort::

Ladybug Crossing said...

lol!

joyce said...

After sleeping on it, I still think you have managed to insult 2/3rds of the country.

I had to ask who the guy in the cowboy hat is...and where did you get that photo, you magic man, you?

coffee is done brewing, by the way.

Bob said...

Which two-thirds would that be? The two-thirds that's racially sensitve, or the two-thirds that loves NASCAR? By my reckoning that's probably eight-ninths of the country -- assuming an even distribution of the those two groups.

I can't believe you didn't recognize Richard Petty!!! (The guy on the right is ... oh, you'll just have to guess.)

Thanks for the fresh coffee. You spoil me.

joyce said...

But now, when folks google NASCAR, your blog will appear. Whoa.

We are inches from each other physically...yet this sneaky way to journal our thoughts...

Thanks for staying home yesterday and playing with me. And thanks for vacuuming today. And thanks for being my Sunday School teacher tomorrow. Rough crowd, that "Family Class" so talk s-l-o-w-l-y, and smile, and make eye-contact, and that'll make 'em feel you care, and of course, don't forget to pray, 'cause then God's love will come shining through your satire.

Bob said...

Oh yeah, putting our thoughts out on the web for everyone in the English-speaking world to read is reeeally sneaky. (Oops, you did caution me about being sarcastic.)

But I have to disagree. The family class isn't rough, they just like to "share", which makes for better participation.

Fret not about the Google search -- I may have made the top of the heap for "geonaut" searches, but I think I'm pretty safe on "NASCAR".

joyce said...

Nope, I did not say nothing about sarcasm. That must have been the Holy Spirit.

Sarcasm is what makes the blog go 'round.