Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Keeping Up with the Jones's, er ... I mean ... the 'Smithhhs'

Years ago while Andy was home from college, we were all sitting around the living room. Joyce mentioned that our telephone voicemail message needed updating, so Andy grabbed the phone and (after punching in the requisite codes) he began: "Hi! you've reached the W..."

Joyce immediately interrupted, "No, no - don't give our last name!"

Andy deftly changed directions, "... I mean, I mean ... the 'Smithhhs'! Please leave a message after the beep."

I roared with laughter.

This little improvisional play had been captured on voicemail, so we replayed it. It was even funnier the second time. Thence I declared it our official telephone answering message, and it remained so for over a year. Thereafter the voicemail messages we got all began, "That's the funniest answering-machine message I've ever heard! ..." We even had a rash of hang-up calls when (prior to a Bible class) our pastor mentioned, "You really ought to hear the message on Bob and Joyce's answering machine. It's a hoot."

Just last week Joyce and I made a quick run to the store for milk, and (wouldn't you know it) while we were out, Andy and his lovely bride called us from Ohio. Anyway, the next morning, when we finally got around to checking for messages, we heard Andy's happy voice saying: "Hi! You've been reached by the W... I mean, I mean ... the 'Smithhhs'. We'll call back sometime long after the beep."

Having kids who make you laugh is such a special blessing.

10 comments:

buffi said...

You people crack me up. I'll have to tell you about my Mr Roger's message when I was in High School.

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!!

joyce said...

I wish he'd come home and re-do the message again. We can't figure it out. And reprogram the cell phones and ...

Now how about you blog about the red purse? No body reads my blog, so your safe !

Bob said...

But Joyce, you made me give up the purse (though little do you know I kept those matching red silletos and I wear them when you aren't looking).

Seriously, there's not much of a story to tell. We just returned a purse to a lady who drove away after she'd dropped it on the parking lot. She seemed pleased to have it back.

Anonymous said...

BAHAHAHA I was crushed when I accidentally erased the message of my sweet little girl singing our telephone number when she was three. LOVED IT.

joyce said...

But the timing of the red purse being dropped the day before Valentine's Day, and how I sent a sack with you to work so you did not have to return it and start rumors of your sensibilities. And how you bragged to co-workers on the elevator ride back to your office that you had received a candy Valentine heart from a lady not your wife. I feel like we are telling the story like that Boa Constrictor story ...

Bob said...

Okay dear, so I told you about the red stilletos, but how did you know about the feather boa?

joyce said...

The Day Jimmy's Boa ate the Wash. Its a kids book. We read it to our boys. It even had a sequel. Something about a school field trip to the farm? Or, am I mixing up the Magic School Bus books? I am sure you will correct me.

Bad news---clean sheets tonight. You know what that means !

j said...

I love that the story and I come to comments to hear you and that Joyce lady chatting each other up! My lucky day! :) Have a happy weekend - Jen

j said...

That last comment is the result of late night blogging. Sheesh, my blog should be called "mumblings, mutterings, and murdering of the English language."

All of that to tell you thanks for your nice comments and for stopping by. You are welcome to make it a habit. Send that Joyce lady too. I'd love to get to know her! Jennifer